Mapping and Manipulating Neural Networks with Artificial Intelligence
Dr. Schwarz and his team develops and utilizes novel technologies that help to map and characterize neuronal circuits within the hippocampus and the olfactory system that allow behaviorally adjusted neuronal computations. The teams newest technology is an artificial intelligence-based system called DeepLabStream (DLStream) that instantly recognizes a behavioral section of mice and facilitates Cal-Light induced labeling of the underlying neural networks involved in generating this behavior.
Discover our homepage here.
- Virus-mediated gene transfer (rAAVs, Lenti and modified rabies viruses)
- Activity and light induced labeling systems (Cal-Light, FLARE)
- Light microscopic neural circuit analysis (LSFM, LSFEM, tissue clearing)
- AI-based behavioral analysis (DeepLabCut, B-Soid, DLStream)
- AI-based automatic cell counting and segmentation (aMAP, FACCT, brainglobe)
5 selected publications
- DeepLabStream enables closed-loop behavioral experiments using deep learning-based markerless, real-time posture detection.Schweihoff JF, Loshakov M, Pavlova I, Kück L, Ewell L, Schwarz MK.Commun. Biol. 2021 Jan 29;4(1):130
- The Diagonal Band of Broca continually regulates olfactory-mediated behaviors. Schwarz I, Müller M, Pavlova I, Schweihoff JF, Musacchio F, Mittag M, Fuhrmann M, Schwarz MK.bioRxiv (2020) doi: 10.1101/2020.11.07.372649
- Light sheet fluorescence expansion microscopy: fast mapping of neuronal circuits at super resolution.Bürgers J, Pavlova I, Rodriguez-Gatica JE, Henneberger C, Oeller M, Ruland JA, Siebrasse JP, Kubitscheck U, Schwarz MK. Neurophotonics. 2019 Jan;6(1):015005. doi: 10.1117/1.NPh.6.1.015005. Epub 2019 Feb 8.
- Whole-brain mapping of human neural transplant innervation. (2017) Doerr, J*., Schwarz, M.K*., Wiedermann, D., Leinhaas, A., Jakobs, A., Schloen, F., Schwarz, I., Diedenhofen, M., Braun, NC., Koch, P., Peterson, DA., Kubitscheck, U., Hoehn, M., Bruestle, O. Nat. Communications (2017), 8:14162; DOI: 10.1038
- Charting olfactory connectivity maps by two-color light-sheet fluorescence microscopy. Niedworok, C., Schwarz, I., Ledderose, J., Giese, G., Conzelmann, K.K., Schwarz, M.K. Cell Reports. (2012),2(5):1375-86.