We investigate extracellular vesicles (EVs) in neurodegenerative diseases. We are especially interested in EV mediated release of toxic, aggregated proteins, such as a-Synuclein, the determinants of their sorting into EVs and the contribution of their release to toxicity and propagation of disease pathology throughout the brain. We also explore physiological functions of EVs in the CNS, e.g. the effects of oligodendroglial EVs, using primary cell culture and mouse models. Furthermore, we are interested in oligodendroglial pathology in neurodegenerative diseases.
In addition, we focus on the detection of novel biomarkers from blood and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) which may enable diagnosis and prognosis of neurodegenerative diseases in the prodromal or even preclinical stage.
Discover our homepage here.
To learn more about Prof. Dr. Anja Schneider, follow her on ORCID.
- Fluid Biomarkers
- Mouse Behavior
- Cell Biology
- Human cohorts
- Intervention trials
5 selected publications
- Stuendl A, Kraus T, Chatterjee M, Zapke B, Sadowski B, Moebius W, Hobert MA, Deuschle C, Brockmann K, Maetzler W, Mollenhauer B, Schneider A. α-Synuclein in Plasma-Derived Extracellular Vesicles Is a Potential Biomarker of Parkinson’s Disease. Mov Disord. 2021 Nov;36(11):2508-2518. doi: 10.1002/mds.28639. Epub 2021 May 18. PMID: 34002893.
- Mukherjee C, Kling T, Russo B, Miebach K, Kess E, Schifferer M, Pedro LD, Weikert U, Fard MK, Kannaiyan N, Rossner M, Aicher ML, Goebbels S, Nave KA, Kramer-Albers EM, Schneider A*, Simons M* (2020) Oligodendrocytes Provide Antioxidant Defense Function for Neurons by Secreting Ferritin Heavy Chain. Cell Metab 32:259-272 e210. * equal contribution
- Bartels C, Wagner M, Wolfsgruber S, Ehrenreich H, Schneider A, Alzheimer’s Disease Neuroimaging I (2018) Impact of SSRI Therapy on Risk of Conversion From Mild Cognitive Impairment to Alzheimer’s Dementia in Individuals With Previous Depression. The American journal of psychiatry 175:232-241.
- Stuendl A, Kunadt M, Kruse N, Bartels C, Moebius W, Danzer KM, Mollenhauer B, Schneider A (2016) Induction of alpha-synuclein aggregate formation by CSF exosomes from patients with Parkinson’s disease and dementia with Lewy bodies. Brain 139:481-494
- Kunadt M et al. Schneider A (2015) Extracellular vesicle sorting of alpha-Synuclein is regulated by sumoylation. Acta neuropathologica 129:695-713.